- The evacuation of civilians in Mariupol, that there are more than 160,000 trapped in the martyr city, according to the latest estimates, becomes the test of strength between Russia, Ukraine and the West. The Russian Defense Ministry announced the establishment of a local ceasefire, starting at 10 am on Friday, to allow the opening of a humanitarian corridor to Zaporizhia. But Westerners consider Moscow’s commitments insufficient. kyiv, for its part, announced the dispatch of forty-five buses to evacuate civilians from the besieged port.
- The reorientation of the Russian war effort on Donbass in eastern Ukraine, where Russian forces will face a hardened Ukrainian army, suggests a “protracted” conflict, which could last for months, the Pentagon warned Thursday. Joe Biden, who also calls himself “skeptical” about the partial withdrawal announced by the Russians, considered that the Russian president, Vladimir Putin, “seemed to isolate”after having “fired or placed under house arrest some of his advisers.”
- In his late-night video address to the nation, Volodymyr Zelensky announced on Friday that it had fired two generalsaccused of “treason”. He also said that after the withdrawal of Russian troops from the north and center of the country, the situation was tense in the south and east, where Russian forces were preparing for new powerful attacks.
- the russians have abandoned Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant, they had occupied since the beginning of the war, taking members of the Ukrainian National Guard, captured in “hostage” , according to Kyiv. The Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), Rafael Grossi, is today in Kaliningrad, Russia, to discuss the nuclear safety in Ukraine with senior Russian officials.
- Of 1is April, buyers from russian country gas “Friendly” you will have to have accounts in rublesotherwise Russia will not hand them over, Putin announced on Thursday. Germany and France “prepare” Faced with a possible stoppage of Russian gas imports, the Europeans would refuse to pay in rubles demanded by Moscow, reacted the French Minister of Economy, Bruno Le Maire. European countries will continue to pay for Russian gas in euros and dollars, as is “written in contracts”assured the German chancellor, Olaf Scholz.
- oil producers The Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) announced, unsurprisingly, a further modest opening of its black gold floodgates, ignoring calls to ease the pressure on prices accentuated by the war. The president of the United States, faced with record inflation undermining his popularity, ordered the extraction of 1 million barrels per day from strategic oil reserves for six months.
Read all our articles, analysis and reports on the war in Ukraine:
Factual. In Mariupol, the evacuation of civilians turns into a confrontation between Russia and the West
Reportage. “Today we are all equal and we are united to defend Ukraine. The rest, we’ll talk about it after the war “: in kyiv, artists go into resistance
Factual. On the payment of gas in rubles, Russia and the European Union defend their version
Grandstand. “Standard western aid modalities can have counterproductive effects”
Factual. The Russian army left Chernobyl taking prisoners
Analyze. Food sovereignty put to the test by the war in Ukraine
You can find our live yesterday in this Lien
“Why is my question not published? “: how “Le Monde” manages the contributions in the live follow-ups